Lets Talk Dental Hygiene

    One thing I've had to battle with since I was really young is my gums. I wont get into way too much details but lets just say they are not the strongest. When my dentist told me that a few years back I had terrible nightmares of my teeth falling out before I was 30. This was all made up in my head because the dentist had said nothing remotely close to it. He only asked me to be extra thorough with teeth cleaning and maintainance.


    Since teeth is a topic close to my heart ( or is it mouth ?) I decided to share these tips on Dental Hygiene by Dr. Jeff Golub-Evans with y'all ! Hopefully we can all take away something from this.

    TRUST YOUR TOOTHPASTE.

    Opt for a toothpaste with the ADA seal. This seal guarantees that the toothpaste will help stave off tooth decay and gum disease.

    FOCUS ON FLOSSING.

    Dental floss is great for removing tiny food particles and plaque between teeth, where bristles can’t reach. Floss daily, but always immediately after meals that involve sticky foods.

    REACH FOR THE RINSE.

    Antimicrobial mouth rinses can help reduce bacteria in the mouth, while also working to fight gum disease. Look for the non-alcohol variety, as alcohol can actually dry out the gums, causing irritation. Alcohol also deposits pigment onto teeth, which can inhibit the whitening process.

    CLEAN IN BETWEEN.

    If you’re on the go without a breath mint or mouth wash, swish water around in your mouth for 30 seconds; even this minor effort helps remove bacteria from the mouth, while helping to ward off stains until your next brushing.

    GUILTLESS INDULGENCE.

    Chocolate may keep cavities at bay: While chocolate does contain sugar, it also contains good-for-you ingredients that help prevent tooth decay. In fact, the cocoa bean husk has an anti-bacterial effect on the mouth and can fight effectively against plaque and other damaging agents.

    Who Has Been Good All Along ?

    Have you been doing all this ? I haven't . Not exactly.


    I use a mouth wash with alcohol. I have tried non alcoholic ones in the past and love not having to feel the burn but without the burn I feel like its not working. I am willing to go back to non alcoholic ones. Something about depositing pigment on my teeth is scaring the hell out of me. May be coz my mouth wash is purple in color.


    Also I haven't been eating any cocoa bean husks. And I don't like white chocolate. But what do is I carry sugar free minty chewing gum with me all the time. I buy it in bulk and stash it everywhere and in every bag. And I carry water with me at all times. Apart from just drinking water for good health, it also helps with the teeth !


    Love,

    Indian Girl

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews